Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Advice from mulitcultural mom's

I was on a business trip in Switzerland for the last couple of days, and I told some of my co-workers I was expecting. I received so many different advice, stories and recommendations! It is so interesting in seeing how each country has different 'believes' in what you should or shouldn't eat, do as sports or what are your rights as a mom.
In Italy, for example, it is okay to drink a glass of wine a week (it is even recommended by the Dr's to avoid 'withdrawl' symptoms) but you should avoid spinach! (I always thought it is a great source of iron to avoid anemia!)
In Holand you can only dream of getting an epidural... because the anesthesiologist should not be 'bothered' by babies being boren, since there are 'more' important things to do (like what? flirting with nurses?).
In France, maternity leave is fully paid 6 weeks BEFORE the baby is boren and 10 weeks after!!! (seriously, don't they already get enough holidays?)
And of course, I heard all kinds of 'horror' stories about births, misscarriages and difficult babies. I wil do my best to never scare moms-to-be with any of my 'bad' stories (let's hope I don't have that many to tell!) I find it a bit insenstive!
I bought a magazine called baby&pregnancy to read on the plain. It was very interesting... talking about all the rights, options of birth, reviews on prams, things that are nice to have but not crucial and other things you can't live without!

No comments: