Thursday, February 08, 2007

Second scan

When we did our scan yesterday everything was normal. The size was normal for a 7 week and 4 day baby, the position was right and the heart beat was going strong.
Yesterday evening we went to our GP (general practicionar) to get enrolled in the ante natal programme. She filled out a form, which will be send to a midwife unit, whom will contact me in a couple of weeks. The standard, here in the UK, is to have 2 ultrasounds:
- one at 12 weeks, which is very extensive, measuring everything there is to measure (baby, tummy, hight, weight, etc) and do a full blood panel and urinalysis.
- the second and last one will be at 20weeks. This is when we can find out the sex of the baby. Now, if the baby has her/his legs crossed, we won't be able to know the sex until birth!!! (I still have a strong feeling it's a girl)
Besides these ultrasounds, I will have regular appointments with the midwife and gp. Unfortunately, because we are moving in two weeks I need to find a new GP. (here in Britain, healthcare is for free, however you need to go to the gp that is in your postal code) I do like Dr. Scott, but hopefully we get another good gp in Clapham Junction.
We will probably have the baby at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital (which is where I have had the two other scans) which is a very nice and modern looking hospital!
The GP also adviced me to enroll in some maternity classes, which will teach us how to take care of the baby, pain managment during birth, etc...
It was snowing again today. It was so nice. I went to a meeting, in the english countryside, and it looked like Chirstmas! So beautiful!
Anyways, the grandma's have been very quiet. (I know grandma Fanny has her two other grandchildren visiting from Belgium and grandma Anita recently got back to work after some time off recovering from a surgery, but hopefully they enjoy these diaries as much as I am and hopefully our little one, one day will as well!)

No comments: